Sash Window Restoration
At The Sash Window Man, we pride ourselves on a sympathetic and considerate approach to the restoration of box sash windows. The sash windows in period properties are very important to the overall look and feel of the building. If the windows have fallen into disrepair the property can look shoddy. Furthermore, failure to repair rotten sash windows can lead to additional and more serious problems caused by penetrating water. Sometimes the original sash windows may have been replaced with modern windows that are not in keeping with the style and era of the building.
What Is Sash Window Restoration?
- Servicing your existing sash windows
- Replacing part or whole elements of existing sash windows that have rotted or seen better days
- Complete sash window replacement
Renovation Of Sash Windows – How We Do It
- First, we make sure the area is prepared and covered with dust sheets to keep mess to a minimum
- We then remove and check the sashes (which are the windows themselves)
- We remove any rot from the sills and boxes and either repair or replace the wood
- The sash weights and pulleys are checked to make sure they are working correctly
- We always fit new ropes when re-furbishing a window
- Draft proofing brushes and beads are then installed to the windows to prevent drafts and rattles
- We will replace broken catches and can advise on new window catches and sash lifts
Restoration Or New Sash Windows?
Sometimes, on first inspection, we find that the sashes are beyond repair. If this is the case, we will give you a detailed quote and the cost of making, painting, glazing and fitting the new sash windows will be included. Occasionally, we will not be able to ascertain whether the sashes will need to be replaced until we have taken the window apart. However, we would always agree any additional costs before continuing with the work. Find out more about new sash windows.
Painting Your Sash Windows
New and newly restored sash windows need to be decorated with good quality paint if they are to last and function for a long period of time. All the joinery we make is fully painted using a high quality micro-porous paint. Once painted, your windows are protected and will not need to be redecorated for up to 4 years.